Welcome

The Asscapades is a series of complete and utter nonsense. Well, it's a morning exercise developed by Julia Cameron in her best selling book The Artist's Way. In it, she describes a means of getting all the drivel and negativity out of yourself before your conscious and rational mind is fully awake.

I have been doing this off and on (mostly off) for the better part of a decade. However, as I go through her course once more, I've found that my morning pages have a comically chaotic nonsense to them. So seeing them take such a turn I decided I would make a blog full of my morning pages or "brain drain". These are The Asscapades.

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Pt 22: The Lady

Monday June 6th, 2016
8:12 am (6 1/2 hours of sleep)

Fighting for freedom, a slave to my own base needs, I stumbled on with a hope of finding some semblance of respite from myself. Quests didn't often take the form this one seemed to have. I had been awoken in the middle of the night by a sharp rapping of knuckles on my door. My great grandmother had shuffled down the hall to my bedroom declaring her need for ice cream.

I found myself half asleep, wishing for a full night's rest, stumbling down the streets of Carhatia looking for a late night shop with ice cream in stock. I felt as though I needed a troll to slay and a soft bed to rest. I approached Old Man Fizzlei at his nightly post to enquire of a late night sweet shop when I saw her. The Maiden of Lake Carhatia wandering the streets just as I. She was a beautiful creature though her reclusive nature and dwelling far from civilization meant she was rarely spotted by any other than the old watch himself. Captured as her beauty was in the moonlight, there came a quest of my own playing out upon my heart. This quest, to discover the nature of such a forlorn existence of so fair a being. Why would she forsake humanity to dwell by the cursed waters of that lake? Upon asking Old Man Fizzlei all he knew, he gave me but a simple warning. To forsake all inquisitive feelings of that fair young woman.

The nightly mists grew more and more deadening any sounds and casting them silently to the darkest parts of night. Any light reflecting off of her seemed to shimmer through the mists, piercing through the darkest shadows and planting themselves deeply within my being. I wanted to know her. I needed to know the truth of who she had been and who she had come to be. Her beauty emboldened me with a courage I had never experienced and with it, I followed her.

After some time of wandering the streets through the thick swirling fog, she saw me and immediately gave a spirited chase. Through the winding streets she retreated leading me back to the lake. The waters still, dark, and foreboding with fog hanging just above so thick you could not see the far shore.

I had lost sight of her but knew her dwelling must be near. After skirting the edge of the lake, I came across a cave obscured from the road. Dark, damp, and musty the cave gave me a feeling of retreat. However, the need to know my jewel of the night was a far greater sensation, so I pressed on.

I wondered how long it might take for her to make amends with civilization so I may bring her home and care for her. My thoughts drifted to adventures through life we would share and of a history we would create together. When, letting out a cry of terror, I found the long decomposed remains of a young woman resting among the rocks just past the mouth of the cave.

I started to make my way from the cave saddened and shocked by my discovery, when out from the recesses of that gaping earthy maw came a  dark form which barreled me over into the shallows of the lake. Cold hands clutched my throat forcing my head beneath the surface. I struggled and thrashed wildly about, expending much effort. Though the being resting upon my chest would not be moved. I gazed up through the water as life left my body and saw the face of death itself looming over me.

Now, if you find yourself wandering through the misty streets at night and down upon that shore, you will hear a weeping and calling. For my lady love is bound to the town and cave where she was slain. While I am bound somewhere deeper in need of a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment